Today is the second to last day of my week of Valentines Day crafts. I’ve had an absolute blast making all of these, and I can’t wait until I do another week long stint of DIY’s. Between today and tomorrows DIY, I really can’t choose which one is my favorite. I’ll let you decide for yourself.
- 2 pieces of felt
- A heart shaped stencil (you could draw your own)
- Either a sewing machine or needle and thread
- A stick (I found my sticks while taking the dogs on a walk, you could use wooden dowels)
- Felt glue/strong adhesive
- Stuffing (I used tissue paper)
1. Trace your heart stencil on each of the pieces of felt. Cut them out.
2. Making sure the sides with any marker/pen marks on them are facing outwards, place the two pieces of felt ontop of each other. Pin the two pieces of hearts together. I used 3 pins on mine.
3. Either using your sewing machine, or by hand sew the two pieces together leaving a big enough hole at the bottom to turn the hearts inside out and glue the sticks inside.
4. Make sure you knot the ends of the sewing thread. Once securely sewn together, turn it inside out.
5. Now stuff the heart! I used tissue paper as it was the only thing I had ample supply of. Be careful not to stuff the heart to full. This can misshape it.
6. Once you have the heart stuffed to your liking, take your adhesive and stick. Place a thin line of glue on one side of the stick and put it inside of the heart.
7. Using more adhesive, put a line of glue around the inside of the opening to the heart. Very carefully fold or pinch it together with the stick still inside the heart.
8. Prop it up and let it dry.
9. I waited for an entire day before I completed it. Using whatever yarn you decided on, cut off a piece about as long as your forearm. Using your glue, make a thin line about where the end of your stitching on the heart was, down to the stick.
10. Start wrapping the yarn around the end of your heart and onto the stick. Use up all your yarn, or if you cut too much simply cut away the excess and glue the end piece down. This gives the bottom of the heart a more finished look and covers up the glue spots from where you glued the stick in.
Now, think of the options you could use these for! Cake toppers, photo props, and even (what I’ll be using them for) accents to potted plants. Instead of buying your loved one that bouquet of flowers that’s surely going to die in at least 2 days, get them a potted plant or a flower and put one of these little handmade felt hearts in it. Perfect little touch! I even like the idea of having some extra yarn hanging off the bottom of the heart, taking a photo and tying it to the yarn. A memorable snapshot, or even a clue to a bigger Valentines Day surprise.
Stay tuned for tomorrows DIY! It’s the last of this week.