Today for Foodie Friday I bring you a healthy recipe, from Kelley over at KelleyWalsh.com. Kelley made her first appearance this past week with her 3 ways for a healthy Valentines Day, which I hope all of you had.
There are no hard-and-fast rules for mixing ingredients, except for the fact that it’s better to add dried fruits after the granola is baked so they don’t turn to rocks.
(Makes 6 cups Vegan)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried fruit
(raisins, chopped apricots, dried cranberries, etc.)
- 1/2 cup honey, golden syrup or maple syrup
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened wheat or corn flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place oats in a colander and sprinkle with enough cold water to dampen them. Transfer to medium mixing bowl. Add cereal flakes, wheat germ, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
3. In small bowl, combine juice, honey and vanilla. Pour over oat mixture and stir until evenly coated.
4. Spread granola mixture in prepared pans. Bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes so that it browns evenly. Stir in fruit and bake 5 minutes more. Let cool and store in airtight container until ready to use.
Enjoy with greek yogurt, fresh fruit and a little drizzle of honey!