Last week I felt incredibly inspired in the kitchen. Normally my kitchen skills are pretty ordinary. I’m no gourmet chef, but I also don’t use only frozen ingredients and a microwave. I’d fall somewhere in between.
My favorite recipes to try are definitely the ones that put all the ingredients in one pot. I found a recipe book completely dedicated to such recipes. Can you say heaven?
Getting my inspiration from homemade mac and cheese, I decided to try out this little chicken sausage and broccoli bake.
Chicken sausage (Trader Joe’s has some killer varieties)
1. Put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook the macaroni (or whichever noodles you prefer to use) until almost tender. Turn off stove and drain macaroni. Run under cold water to cool down.
2. While noodles are cooling, chop up the broccoli and using a vegetable steamer cook up those little green trees.
3. Chop up the chicken sausage in to the desirable size pieces. Throw some garlic in a pan with olive oil and once it’s properly heated, put the sausage in the pan. Keep cooking until browned on both sides. I use frozen garlic cubes from Trader Joes. Easy, and they work great.
4. If your cheese isn’t grated, this is a good time to make sure you do just that. Kh has the worlds tiniest cheese grater (it’s actually for garlic) so this part took me a considerable amount of time. I should really invest in a grater for such occasions..
(take this time to preheat oven to 350°)
5. At this point your broccoli should be all cooked. Drain it from the water and put it in the pan with the chicken sausage. Keep cooking this all together until it all is a little browned.
6. Bring out a good sized bowl and put your noodles into it. Make sure they aren’t all stuck together, which is where the cold water came in handy. Put the mixture of broccoli and sausage into the bowl with the noodles. Sprinkle in some Parmesan cheese, and a handful or more of the cheddar cheese.
7. Once all mixed together, pour into a baking pan. I poured in a thin layer, added cheese, then another thin layer etc until the pan was filled. At the end I sprinkled more parmesan cheese as the final layer. You can’t have too much cheese, right?
Now, enjoy! This was so delicious. I can’t wait to come up with more recipes like this. It also gave us quite a lot of leftovers.